Installing SharePoint 2010 in Windows 7 (64 bit)
Many people faces problem in installing SharePoint 2010 Server in windows 7 because it doesn’t directly support it and you will get error about operation system while attempting to install. But there are certain steps which can guide you to install SharePoint 2010 in your machine. I hope you know how to install SharePoint 2007 in windows 7. No need to worry, it is not the prerequisites for the installation of SharePoint 2010. However, if you need it you can see it here. But that tweaks doesn’t work for 2010. So you must follow some steps to run SharePoint 2010 in your Windows 7 (64 bit) machine.
1) Install the following update.
2) Extract the installation files from the setup using command d:\Software\SharePoint10\SharePointServer /extract:d\SharePointServerFiles. In my case source directory is d:\Software\SharePoint10 and target directory is d:\ SharePointServerFiles.
3) In the target directory find the config.xml a following d:\ SharePointServerFiles \files\Setup\ and add the following line of text in configuration node <Setting Id=”AllowWindowsClientInstall” Value=”True”/>. Now your configuration file would be something like below:
<Configuration> <Package Id="sts"> <Setting Id="LAUNCHEDFROMSETUPSTS" Value="Yes"/> </Package> <DATADIR Value="%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web ServerExtensions\14\Data" /> <Package Id="spswfe"> <Setting Id="SETUPCALLED" Value="1"/> </Package> <Logging Type="verbose" Path="%temp%" Template="SharePoint Server Setup(*).log"/> <!--<PIDKEY Value="Enter Product Key Here" />--> <Setting Id="SERVERROLE" Value="SINGLESERVER"/> <Setting Id="USINGUIINSTALLMODE" Value="1"/> <Setting Id="SETUPTYPE" Value="CLEAN_INSTALL"/> <Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never"/> <Setting Id="AllowWindowsClientInstall" Value="True"/> </Configuration>
4) Now, it is the time to install the prerequisite installer files. First install filter pack in the path d:\ SharePointServerFiles \PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\FilterPack\ FilterPack.msi. Now install following components:
- Microsoft Sync Framework
- SQL Server Native Client
- Windows Identity Foundation (Windows6.1-KB974405-x64.msu)
If you have Visual Studio 2010 installed in your machine then you may not have to install previous two components.
5) Now, turn on the windows features for IIS for the components as shown in figure (AT LEAST, please). Type ‘optionalfeatures’ in run and enter to open windows features.
6) Now run setup.exe from ‘d:\ SharePointServerFiles’ to get installation wizard and choose Standalone installation to install all on one developer workstation.
7) After the end of installation you need to run the configuration wizard. But before that you need to install some hotfix for SQL Server. Install SQL Server 2008 KB 970315 x64. You need to request the hotfix and Microsoft will send you in email the link and password that required for extraction. Note that you must install this hotfix to avoid the exception while configuration wizard is creating configuration database.
8) Now, you can run your configuration wizard to configure SharePoint in your machine. Don’t panic; it takes time. Good luck.
1. I can open the Central Administrator site but links are not enabled in Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage Web Applications. You cannot create new web application and extend existing one.
Sol: Make sure you have Windows Identity Foundation installed. Get it from here. Now do not directly open the central admin site but first open Internet Explorer as administrator and open central admin page. Now, if still it is not working, you would like to use 64-bit IE (Same happened in my case). Furthermore, you can disable UAC to enable link but it is not good practice to disable UAC just for SharePoint.
2. Exception in Database Configuration step: An exception oftype Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeException was thrown. Additional exception information: Failed to call GetTypes on assembly Microsoft.Office.Server.Search, Version=18.104.22.168, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c. Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Web.DataVisualition, Version=22.214.171.124, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Sol: The reason of this exception is the configuration doesn’t find the Chart Controls. Download it and install and re-run the configuration.
NOTE: If you have any issue, feel free to post it.